Interviews with Top 16 World Championships Players | WCSのベスト16の日本人選手へのアンケート結果


Note my translation is not a perfect translation and I have rearranged and reworded some parts for clarity and readability. 

Players Interviewed

  1. Yoshiyuki Yamaguchi
  2. Shunpei Hosoya
  3. Hideki Sano



Yoshiyuki Yamaguchi (12th)





Please give us a brief introduction and some of your significant accomplishments. 

My name is Yoshi. My main results this season were 2nd at the Champions League Niigata, Top 32 at the Champions League Chiba and 3rd at the Japan Championships. My best achievement in the Junior division was 12th at the World Championships 2009. [Yoshi was also ranked first in total CSP for the 2019 season in Japan!]





Congratulations on your top 16 finish. Why did you decide to use Reshiram & Charizard for the World Championships? 

To tell the truth, I was torn between two decks upon leaving Japan. It was either Ability Reshiram & Charizard or Mewtwo & Mew GX with Banette. While watching and hearing about the happenings of Day 1, there were quite a lot of Malamar and Powerplant decks, so I decided against playing the Mewtwo & Mew deck. However, it was a pretty interesting deck, so I plan to post about it on my note [a Japanese blogging website] at a later date! 


Can you tell us about your Day 2 matchups?

My end result was 4-1-2.

1. Steven Mao (DE) Reshiram & Charizard Ninetales (First) WW

2. Haruki Satoyama (JP) Gardevoir & Sylveon (First) WW

3. Christian Hasbani (AU) Psychic Malamar (First) LL

4. Alex Schemanske (US) Gengar & Mimikyu Omastar (First) WLT

5. Haedon Jeong (KR) Blacephalon (First) LWT

6. Michel Schiraldi (CA) Garchomp & Giratina Malamar (First) WW

7. Will Jenkins (US) Pikachu & Zekrom (Second) WW

What did you think after seeing the results of Day 1? Was the meta as you expected? Did you make any changes to your deck after Day 1, and if so, what were they?

The meta was pretty much what I had expected. However, I didn’t expect to see Phillip Schulz piloting a Reshiram & Charizard deck with Ninetales, which I hadn’t considered myself. I also didn’t expect to see control decks (Keldeo, Beheeyem, etc). After watching multiple rounds of Day 1, I tried to include the Ninetales in my Reshiram & Charizard deck, but I didn’t have the courage to play it in Day 2 as I hadn't had enough practice. So I decided to make my deck stronger against these control decks and included Turtonator and Oranguru. 

Looking back at the World Championships, was there anything about your deck you wish you could have changed? Any techs you would have included for specific matchups?

There were no cards like that. I believe the Reshiram & Charizard deck I brought to Worlds was the best call. 

Most of the Japanese players played a variety of decks. Prior to the World Championships, how did you prepare? Did you share deck ideas with fellow invitees? 

I practiced with the dream team: Miyashishi (Ryota Ishiyama) who came in the top 8 at the World Championships, Haruki Satoyama who I played against on Day 2, and Daichi Shimada who played Gardevoir & Sylveon. Before the tournament, we were preparing by bouncing deck ideas off of each other.

Why didn't you run Ninetales?

It is disappointing, but I hadn’t considered gusting options outside of Custom Catcher, and didn’t think of including Ninetales in my deck. I hadn't done my research.

Why did you include the Resource Management Oranguru? What kind of situations was it useful in?

As I mentioned above, one of the reasons I included Oranguru was for control decks. Also, I disliked sometimes having to discard Custom Catchers with Dedenne GX, limiting the number of times I could use them in a game. During matches on the day, I used Oranguru to return Custom Catchers and Fire Crystals to my deck and to rebuild my board.

Did the Blacephalon put in work? 

Blacephalon was actually quite helpful. One of the disadvantages of Reshiram & Charizard GX is that its damage output is capped by its GX attack, but with Blacephalon, you can go further if you have Welder, Cherish Ball and enough Energy on board. In addition, Bursting Burn was very effective in slowing down opponents and allowed certain Pokemon to fall into Reshiram & Charizard range with enough time. Against Malamar variants, you can use Burst GX to take Prizes while avoiding activating Spell Tag.

As of now, we don't know whether Japan will be having a rotation. Do you think it would be better for there to be a rotation? 


If you want to improve competitiveness, I think it is better to have a rotation. However, there’s no way the game will change just because of one person’s opinion, so the first thing I have to do is enjoy the Japanese rules as they are! 



Thanks to Yoshiyuki Yamaguchi for participating in the interview! Make sure to check out his Twitter.



Shunpei Hosoya (14th)



Please give us a brief introduction and some of your significant accomplishments. 

My name is Hosoya. I’ve been playing the Pokemon TCG for about six years. My past achievements include six large domestic tournament placings (two first places, one second place, three third places), ranking first in CSP in the senior division in the 2017 season and participating at the World Championships three times.


Shunpei Hosoya's Day 1 deck


Shunpei Hosoya's Day 2 deck

Congratulations on your top 16 finish. Why did you decide to use Gardevoir & Sylveon for the World Championships? 

I expected Pikachu & Zekrom, Malamar and Blacephalon to be popular decks. My Reshiram & Charizard matchup is tough, but since I can afford to lose up to two times on Day 1, I just hoped to hit Reshiram & Charizard twice and win the other matches.

Can you tell us about your Day 1 and Day 2 matchups?

Day 1
  1. Garchomp Giratina LWW
  2. Pikachu & Zekrom LWW
  3. Reshiram & Charizad LWW
  4. Reshiram & Charizard LL
  5. Pikachu & Zekrom LL
  6. Pikachu & Zekrom WW
  7. Blacephalon Nagandel WW
  8. Ultra Necrozma WW
Day 2
  1. Gardevoir & Sylveon LWT
  2. Spiritomb Buzzwole Frosslass Alolan Ninetales LWT
  3. Pikachu & Zekrom LWL
  4. Pikachu & Zekrom WW
  5. Giratina Malamr WW
  6. Ultra Necrozma Malamar WW
  7. Greens Blacephalon WW
What did you think after seeing the results of Day 1? Was the meta as you expected? Did you make any changes to your deck after Day 1, and if so, what were they?

The Day 1 meta was pretty much along the lines of what I expected. I had a feeling there was a little more Reshiram & Charizard than I had expected, but that was still within the margin of error. I made three changes to my deck, but one of these changes was a mistake so I regretted that a little.

Looking back at the World Championships, was there anything about your deck you wish you could have changed? Any techs you would have included for specific matchups?

In Day 2 there were quite a few Gengar & Mimikyu GX in Malamar decks, which is powerful against Gardevoir & Sylveon, so I regret having taken out Fairy Charm Psychic.

Most of the Japanese players played a variety of decks. Prior to the World Championships, how did you prepare? Did you share deck ideas with fellow invitees? 

I discussed ideas with other people, and we thought that Gardevoir & Sylveon would have a good chance of getting through Day 1, which is why I picked the deck. My team also felt that Reshiram & Charizard was very powerful.

Lysandre Labs seems like an interesting inclusion in the deck, especially when the deck runs Fairy Charms. Why did you opt to run this over Wondrous Labyrinth? What matchups was this useful against? 

Lysandre Labs was mainly for the Malamar matchup, and Malamar seemed quite common on Day 2. I wouldn’t use Lysandre Labs in matchups that require Fairy Charms. I didn’t run Wondrous Labyrinth as Powerplant was generally sufficient. However, against Pikachu & Zekrom, the Wondrous Labyrinth can break your opponent’s Lysandre Labs lock and allow you to get ahead in the Stadium war, so Wondrous Labyrinth is better than Lysandre Labs in that matchup.

Did you find the one of Lusamine to be helpful? What cards would you normally get from it?

Generally I would get back Powerplant, Lysandre Labs or Green’s Search. I didn’t have a lot of opportunities to use it, but I think it was a good inclusion as there were games where it won me the game so I am very happy I ran it.

Did you play against any decks that made you wish you had run Fairy Charm Psychic?

In Day 2 against both of the Malamar matchups, Gengar & Mimikyu GX was used against me and if I had run Fairy Charm Psychic I may have been able to deal with those games better.

How did you find playing a Best of 3 Swiss format opposed to the Best of 1 format usually played in Japan? Do you have a preference for either format? Do you feel like you need to change the way you play or the way you build your deck?


I personally think Best of 3 is better. You need to use the clock completely differently compared to Best of 1, so I think of them as different games.


Thanks to Shunpei Hosoya for participating in the interview! Make sure to check out his Twitter.



Hideki Sano (9th)



Please give us a brief introduction and some of your significant accomplishments.

My name is Sano. I came 8th at the 2019 JCS.


Congratulations on your top 16 finish. Why did you decide to use Gardevoir & Sylveon for the World Championships? 

Gardevoir & Sylveon has access to cards that can target your opponent such as Fairy Charms, Powerplant and Judge, and with no Metal in format there were no decks Gardevoir & Sylveon had weakness to. 

Can you tell us about your Day 1 and Day 2 matchups?

I don't remember Day 1 because I lost my notes. I feel like I won a few rounds against Malamar variants, and against Pikachu & Zekrom, Gardevoir & Sylveon and Baby Blacephalon once each... 

On Day 2, I played against:
  1. Spirtomb (Luminous Barrier Ninetales) LWT 
  2. Chandelure LWW 
  3. Malamar WW
  4. Malamar WW
  5. Pikachu & Zekrom WW
  6. Reshiram & Charizard LL 
  7. Pikachu & Zekrom WW 
What did you think after seeing the results of Day 1? Was the meta as you expected? Did you make any changes to your deck after Day 1, and if so, what were they?

The meta was almost exactly as I expected. I didn't change anything. 

Looking back at the World Championships, was there anything about your deck you wish you could have changed? Any techs you would have included for specific matchups?

I feel I was able to use all 60 cards so there isn't anything I would change. Gardevoir & Sylveon is a deck that reacts to what your opponent does, so there are of course cards I have for specific matchups. Please check out my list. 

Most of the Japanese players played a variety of decks. Prior to the World Championships, how did you prepare? Did you share deck ideas with fellow invitees? 

At the beginning of July, I knew I was going to play Gardevoir & Sylveon. I participated in various non-sanctioned tournaments, making small adjustments to my deck as I observed the meta. Apart from that, I worked alone. I didn't really practice with other people. 

Why did you run the Mimikyu GX? What kind of scenarios did you find it helpful in?

It was a counter to both Reshiram & Charizard and Gardevoir & Sylveon. By confirming that my opponent's Potion counts, or by leaving my Mimikyu GX on the Bench, I was able to use it quite effectively. 

Why did you run such low healing counts? Other decks were running, for example, four Super Scoops Ups.

With regard to Super Scoop Up, the result of the coin flip is uncertain, so it is relatively difficult to know whether to move Energy between your Gardevoir & Sylveon GX after attacking or not. This means you need to run more Tag Switch, which would increase your chances of drawing dead in situations when you use Judge. When I really needed to heal, I felt I could use Xerneas GX's GX attack. I also ran three Great Potion instead of four. This meant my opponent would struggle to count my cards effectively, and I felt I could manage fine if I were able to heal just once or twice. Since the deck has so many components, I wanted to reduce the chances of drawing dead.

You ran three Judge but only one Reset Stamp - why?

Even though Gardevoir & Sylveon could set up normally against Reshiram & Charizard, Malamar and Pikachu & Zekrom without Judge, I felt it wouldn't be able to win against these decks. Rather than trying to brick my opponent off the Judge, the main point was to cause my opponent to slow down a little by missing a few cards. The reason for running Judges over Reset Stamps was that against high speed decks, disrupting their hand after they have set up is not enough - I wanted to reduce their hand down to four in the early game.

Currently, Japan releases a new set every month, but in other countries one set is released every three months. Which release schedule do you prefer?

In my personal opinion, I would prefer a happy medium of once every two months. Once a month is too short to try out all the new cards, but I feel once every three months would make the format stale.


Thanks to Hideki Sano for participating in the interview! Make sure to check out his Twitter.


For more content, follow us on Facebook and Twitter!
















                                      日本語  English                                                     

選手


凱 (よし) (12位)





自己紹介をお願いします。それから、今までのポケモン大会での成績について教えてください(優秀な成績など)。

凱(よし)といいます。 今シーズンは CL新潟 2位 CL千葉 top32 JCS 3位 が主な成績です。 ジュニア時代の最高成績がWCS2009で12位です。




ベスト16おめでとうございます。なぜレシリザをWCSで使いましたか。

実は出国前にデッキは2択でした。 特性を使うレシリザかジュペッタを入れたミュウツー&ミュウ(以下ミュウミュウ)かで迷っていました。

DAY1の様子を見たり聞いたりしたところ無人発電所を採用したカラマネロが一定数いたため、ミュウミュウを使うのを嫌いました。

ただ、かなり面白いデッキだったので、後日自分のnoteにて公開しようと思っています! 

Day2のマッチアップを教えてください。

4-1-2でした。

1.レシリザキュウコン Steven Mao(DE)先WW 
2.サナニンフ Haruki Satoyama(JP)先WW 
3.超カラマネロ Christian Hasbani(AU)先LL 
4.ゲンミミオムスター Alex Schemanske(US)先WL- 
5.ズガドーン Haedon Jeong(KR)先LW- 
6.ガブギラマネロ Michel Schiraldi(CA)先WW 
7.ピカゼク Will Jenkins(US)後WW 

Day1の結果についてどう思いましたか。予想していたメタと同じでしたか。Day1の結果を見て自分のデッキを変えましたか。変えた場合は、何を変えましたか。

ほとんど読み通りでした。

ただ、自分が考察し切れなかったようなPhilip Schulzが使っていたキュウコン入りのレシリザやコントロール系統のデッキ(ケルディオ、オーベムなど)を見かけた点が予想外でした。

day1を何試合か見た後にホテルの部屋でキュウコン入りのレシリザを見た瞬間に組もうと試みましたが、練習不足感を抱えながらday2を戦う勇気はなかったです。

なので、せめてコントロール系統には強く出ようと思い、バクガメスやヤレユータンを採用することにしました。 

WCSの後に、デッキの中でこれを変えればよかった、と思うカードがありますか。デッキ相性によって入れるカードはありますか。

そういったカードはなかったです。

WCS2019に持ち込んだレシリザが自分の中でのベストです。 

多くの日本の選手は色々なデッキを持ってきました。WCSの前にどうやって準備をしましたか。デッキのアイデアについて他の日本の選手と話しましたか。

世界でもtop8に入ったみやしし選手、day2で対戦したサトヤマハルキ選手、サナニンフを持ち込んだシマダダイチ選手を含むドリームチームで挑みました。


大会前は毎日のようにデッキ案を投げ合い準備を進めていました。 

なぜキュウコンを入れませんでしたか。

これはかなり悔しかったのですが、カスタムキャッチャーでベンチを呼ぶことに囚われてしまい、レシリザにキュウコンを入れようとはならなかったです。

完全に研究不足でした。 なぜリソースマネージメントのヤレユータンを入れましたか。どんな状況で役に立ちましたか。

4で述べたようにコントロール系統のデッキに対して強く出れるのが理由の1つです。

また、デデンネGXでカスタムキャッチャーなどを巻き込んで使える回数が絞られてしまう点も嫌って、保険の意味でも1枚いれることにしました。

実際に試合中ではカスタムキャッチャー、炎の結晶などを山札に戻して、盤面を立て直したりもしました。 

ズガードンは役に立ちましたか。

かなり役立ちました。

レシリザの欠点の1つとして、天井火力がGX技のみという点が挙げられると思うのですが、盤面にエネルギーさえあれば、プレシャスボールと溶接工の2枚から天井火力に繋げることが出来ます。

また、さくれつバーナーでの足止め性能も非常に高く、時間を稼ぎながらレシリザの射程圏内に入れる動きも強かったです。

カラマネロ系統に対しては、バーストGXでのろいのお札を発動させずにサイドを進められる点も評価が高いです。 

今の所、日本はロテーションがあるかどうか分かりません。ロテーションがあった方がいいと思いますか。

ただ、一個人の意見でゲームが変わるわけでもないので、日本の公式の方々が決めたルールを楽しむことが第1ですね!


凱さんアンケートに答えてくださってありがとうございました。凱さんのツイッターはこちらです:@yamayoshi1026

自己紹介をお願いします。それから、今までのポケモン大会での成績について教えてください(優秀な成績など)。

ほそやです。ポケモンカードを6年ほど続けています。過去の成績は、国内大型大会入賞×6(1位2回2位1回3位3回)、CL2017シニアリーグcspランキング1位、WCS出場×3等です。 

ほそやさんのDay1デッキ


ほそやさんのDay2デッキ

ベスト16おめでとうございます。なぜサーナイト&ニンフィアをWCSで使いましたか。

人気であると予想していたピカチュウ&ゼクロム、カラマネロ、ズガドーンといった相手に対して大きく有利が取れていると感じたからです。レシラム&リザードンとのマッチアップは厳しいのですが、Day1の8戦の中で2回負けられるのでレシラム&リザードンに2回当たって負けてしまっても他に勝てば抜けられると思っていたのであまり気にしなかったです。

Day1とDay2のマッチアップを教えてください。

Day1
ガブギラカラマネロ×○○
ピカゼク×○○
レシリザ○×○
レシリザ××
ピカゼク×○×
ピカゼク○○
ズガドーンアーゴヨン×○○
ウルネクカラマネロ○○

Day2
サナニンフ×○-
ミカルゲマッシブーンユキメノコアローラキュウコン×○-
ピカゼク×○×
ピカゼク○○
ガブギラカラマネロ○○
ウルネクカラマネロ○○
ブルーズガドーン○○


Day1の結果についてどう思いましたか。予想していたメタと同じでしたか。Day1の結果を見て自分のデッキを変えましたか。変えた場合は、何を変えましたか。

Day1の結果を見て自分のデッキを変えましたか。変えた場合は、何を変えましたか。 Day1のメタは自分が思っていたのと大体同じでした。強いていえばレシリザが想定より少し多いかなという印象は受けましたがそれでも誤差の範囲内でした。 デッキは内容を3枚変えましたが1枚は変えなければ良かったと少し後悔しました。

WCSの後に、デッキの中でこれを変えればよかった、と思うカードがありますか。デッキ相性によって入れるカードはありますか。

Day2ではDay1で強力だったサナニンフに対してカラマネロにゲンガー&ミミッキュが採用されているのが多いかなと思ったので超チャームは抜くべきではなかったなと思いました。

多くの日本の選手は色々なデッキを持ってきました。WCSの前にどうやって準備をしましたか。デッキのアイデアについて他の日本の選手と話しましたか。

他の人と色々話してDay1はサナニンフが抜けやすいんじゃないかとなったのでDay1でサナニンフを使いました。他には自分の調整チームではレシリザの評価が高かったですね。

一般的にフェアリーチャームとフラダリラボの相性はあまりよくないと言われていますが、なぜ両方のカードを入れましたか。ワンダーラビリンスではなく、なぜフラダリラボを入れましたか。

フラダリラボは主に対カラマネロを厚く見るためにDay2で1枚採用しました。フェアリーチャームが必要なマッチアップではフラダリラボは使わないですね。ワンダーラビリンスは役割的に無人発電所で事足りることが多かったので採用しなかったのですが、対ピカゼクでは相手のフラダリラボを割る5枚目のスタジアムとして機能するのでそのマッチアップではフラダリラボよりワンダーラビリンスの方が有用です。

ルサミネは役に立ちましたか。使って、どんなカードを獲得しましたか。 <br />
主に無人発電所、フラダリラボ、ブルーの探索を回収します。あまり使う機会は無かったですけどルザミーネで助かったゲームもあったので採用してよかったと思います。

フェアリーチャーム超を入れておけばよかったという対戦はありましたか。

Day2でマッチングしたカラマネロには両方ともゲンガー&ミミッキュが採用されていたのでチャーム超を入れておけばもう少し楽に勝てたかなと思いました。

日本ではBo1ですが、WCSではBo3です。どちらの法いいと思いますか。Bo3とBo1では、対戦の仕方が違うと思いますか。

BO1とBO3では時間の使い方が全く異なるので別のゲームだと思っています。


ほそやさんアンケートに答えてくださってありがとうございました。ほそやさんのツイッターはこちらです:@genmuPCG.


サノ (9位)



自己紹介をお願いします。それから、今までのポケモン大会での成績について教えてください(優秀な成績など)。

サノです。 2019JCS8位でした。



ベスト16おめでとうございます。なぜサーナイト&ニンフィアをWCSで使いましたか。

チャーム、無人発電所、ジャッチマンなど相手に対して強いカードを雑に採用出来るのと環境上鋼がいなさそうで弱点突かれなさそうだったからです。

Day1とDay2のマッチアップを教えてください。

Day1はメモが消失してしまって覚えてないです。 複数回カラマネロ派生とレシリザ当たって、ピカゼク、サナニンフ、子ズガドーン1回づつ当たった記憶があるんですけど… 

Day2は
ミカルゲ(けっかいキュウコン入り)×◯-
シャンデラ×◯◯
カラマネロ◯◯
カラマネロ◯◯
ピカゼク◯◯
レシリザ××
ピカゼク◯◯ でした。


Day1の結果についてどう思いましたか。予想していたメタと同じでしたか。Day1の結果を見て自分のデッキを変えましたか。変えた場合は、何を変えましたか。

概ね予想通りでした。 何も変えなかったですね。

WCSの後に、デッキの中でこれを変えればよかった、と思うカードがありますか。デッキ相性によって入れるカードはありますか。

60枚全て使った印象なので変える所ないですね。 サナニンフが相手次第で動くデッキなので大体のカードがデッキ相性で入れてるカードになってしまう… なのでデッキレシピを見て下さいとしか…

多くの日本の選手は色々なデッキを持ってきました。WCSの前にどうやって準備をしましたか。デッキのアイデアについて他の日本の選手と話しましたか。

7月の頭時点でサナニンフを握る予定で色々な自主大会に出て、メタを見ながら細かい調整をしていました。 あとはひたすら一人回しでした。 あまり人とは研究しませんでした。


なぜミミキュGXを入れましたか。どんな状況で役に立ちましたか。

レシリザとサナニンフ対しての1つの回答して入れました。 実際ポーション1枚で確定数づらしや単機でベンチに待たれる動きに対して強く出れました。

あまりヒーリングカード入れていませんでしたが、なぜですか。他の選手のデッキはスーパーポケモン回収を四枚入れたりしていました。

スーパーポケモン回収については表裏がはっきりしてない状態でサナニンフの技打ってエネを動かす事が比較的難しく、その為にタッグスイッチなどをもう少しデッキに入らなければならなく、そうするとジャッチマンを打った時の事故率などが上がるのと本当に回復いる相手に対してはゼルネアスGXのGX技1回でなんとかなるイメージだったので… ポーションも4じゃなく3なのは確定数づらしや細かいダメージを1、2回取ればよっぽどなんとかなる感じだったので… それよりも要素の多いデッキなので少しでも事故率を減らす事にしました


ジャッジマンたくさん入っていましたが、なぜジャッジマン三枚を入れてリセットスタンプ一枚を入れましたか。

ジャッチマンについては普通の速度でサナニンフが戦ってもデッキパワーのあるレシリザ、カラマネロ、ピカゼクなどに勝てないイメージだったので。 ジャッチマンで事故らせるというよりも少しでも手札を揃えてさせないようにしてターンを遅らせる事がメンイでした。 スタンプではなくジャッチマンの理由はデッキパワーのあるデッキに対して場を完成されてからだと手遅れだと思っていたので序盤から4にできるジャッチマンの方を多くしました。

現在、日本では毎月一枚新しいセットが発売され、他の国では三か月に一度一セットが発売されています。どちらがいいと思いますか。


個人的にはその間の2ヶ月の1回がいいです。 1ヶ月だと短すぎてカード全て試せなく、3ヶ月だと環境が固まり過ぎる印象なので。


サノさんアンケートに答えてくださってありがとうございました。サノさんのツイッターはこちらです:@M1gvK9FRFfA0fzJ.



ツイッターは@pokemoncard_jpですので、ぜひ見てください。よろしくお願いします。

Comments