Interviews with Tokyo Champions League 2020 Champions!

Please find the original Japanese-language article here. Note my translation is not a perfect translation and I have rearranged and reworded some parts of the original article for clarity and readability. Find also some explanatory comments inside square brackets, italicised. This website is in no way affiliated with Pokemon, Nintendo, Creatures Inc or GAME FREAK inc, and claims no rights to the original article.


The new season has started with the Tokyo Champions League 2020! We’d like to introduce the winners of each division along with their decks.
 

Masters Division Winner: Daichi Shimada, Lucario & Melmetal




Interview

Congratulations on your win. Looking back at today, what are your thoughts on the tournament?

Today, I lost against an Arceus & Dialga & Palkia deck in the second round.

I misplayed in that game so I was a little shocked, but I tried to keep my head up and play to my strengths.

As a result, I believe I was able to gain the confidence to make it into the Main Round and then go on to win the entire tournament.

Please tell us why you chose the deck you used today.

Originally, I was tossing up between an Arceus & Dialga & Palkia deck or a Gardevoir deck.

About four days before the tournament, my testing group talked about the strength of Lucario & Melmetal and we researched how to beat Fire decks with it.

After lots of practice I realised that it was a good deck and it was advantaged against decks that couldn’t hit for weakness. I decided that I was going to play the deck two days ago.

What were the key cards of your deck today?

Dusk Mane Necrozma and Sudowoodo.

In particular, Dusk Mane Necrozma can target down Pokemon on my opponent’s bench, and as it is a Metal type Pokemon it can benefit from Full Metal Wall GX which is really powerful.

Dusk Mane Necrozma                              Sudowoodo

Please tell us your goals for the 2020 season.


Last year I won the Niigata Champions League 2019, but my results at the Champions Leagues afterwards weren’t so great. This season, I want to keep working hard and I’d like to Top 8 the World Championships 2020. 

Masters Division Runner Up: Hiromasa Shima, Reshiram & Charizard




Interview

Please tell us why you chose the deck you used today. 

At first, I was testing a Fire-based Mewtwo & Mew deck.

About one week before the tournament, Arceus & Dialga & Palkia Keldeo decks began getting results, and I felt like the deck I’d practiced with would have a difficult time winning against this deck.

When I played a few games with a deck I’d played previously, Reshiram & Charizard, I felt that it was still powerful.

In the tournament before this one I was able to perform well with Reshiram & Charizard, so I decided to use this deck again for the Tokyo Champions League.

Were there any cards in your deck which particularly stood out?

I definitely feel that all the cards I used were important.

However, I was unsure of whether to put Field Blower in my deck until this morning. I knew there were going to be Lucario & Melmetal decks so I decided to use it, and I’m glad that I did.

Field Blower                              Reshiram & Charizard-GX

What are your goals for the 2020 season? 

My main goal is to go to the Pokemon World Championships 2020. My teammates participated in the Pokemon World Championships 2019, so I’ve been practicing as much as possible for this season.

This tournament I was the runner up, but I’d like to perform well at the next Champions League in Aichi too. 

Senior Division Champion: Kabu Fukase, Arceus & Dialga & Palkia



Interview

Congratulations on your win. Can you tell us why you played the deck you used today?
I used an Arceus & Dialga & Palkia Mismagius deck.

I’d also prepared a Silvally deck, but on the morning of the tournament I felt that I wanted to play with Arceus & Dialga & Palkia, so that’s why I chose it.

Can you tell us about the features of your deck?

You want to use Mismagius’ Ability, Mysterious Message, at an early stage of the game, forcing your opponent to take Prize cards, preventing them from being able to use Counter Energy.

On the other hand, you are now able to use Counter Gain. This allows you to attack quickly.

Other than Arceus & Dialga & Palkia GX, you can use Blastoise & Piplup GX as an attacker. It can be used against Reshiram & Charizard and other Fire decks.

What were the MVP cards of today?

Counter Gain.

If you use Mismagius’ Ability, Mysterious Message, you can immediately use Arceus & Dialga & Palkia GX’s Ultimate Ray.

Thanks to the effect of Ultimate Ray, if your opponent’s deck is a Fire type deck you can power up Blastoise & Piplup GX, or if your opponent’s deck is one with lots of GX Pokemon you can attach Energy to Lopunny & Jigglypuff GX, which is very powerful.

Counter Gain                              

What are your goals for the 2020 season?
I’ve participated in the Pokemon World Championships for four consecutive years, and with this win I’ll be able to compete for the fifth year in a row. I haven’t won yet, so I’d like to win the Pokemon World Championships 2020! 

Junior Winner Souji Kawamoto



Interview

Congratulations on your win. Please tell us about the deck that you used today.
I played a Reshiram & Charizard deck.

I included non-GX attackers such as Victini Prism Star, Turtonator and Deoxys.

In particular, I used Deoxys as I thought there would be many decks in the tournament running Kiawe or Welder and accelerating Fire Energy.

Reshiram & Charizard-GX                    Deoxys

How do you normally build your decks?
I get my family to check the decks that I build.

After that, I improve on the deck by having strong players take a look at it as well.

This time, I decided to use this deck because I felt that it was advantaged against decks which set up quickly.

What are your goals for the 2020 season?

I played at the Pokemon World Championships 2019, and with this win I’ll be able to play at the Pokemon World Championships for the second year in a row. However, I wasn’t able to do well at the Japan Championships 2019, so I’d like to win the Japan Championships 2020!

Open League (Expanded) Winner Takuto Itagaki, Garchomp & Giratina




Interview

Congratulations on your win. Please tell us about the deck you used today.

I used a deck which wins by reducing my opponent’s hand while attacking with Garchomp & Giratina GX.

Using Mismagius’ Mysterious Message and attaching Island Challenge Amulet to Jirachi GX, I can force my opponent to take all but one Prize.

From there, I play Lt Surge’s Strategy, N and Mars in that order to reduce my opponent’s hand to 0.

Then, I use Chip-Chip Ice Axe to prevent my opponent from drawing a playable card and win with Garchomp & Giratina GX.

Are there any cards which are unique to your deck?
One unique card that I ran was Gladion.

I didn’t see Gladion in other similar decks.

This deck has a lot of necessary parts. For example, if you Prize two Garchomp & Giratina GX, you can’t win.

In this tournament I used Jirachi EX’s Ability, Stellar Guidance, to get Gladion into my hand, which allowed me to find the last piece of the puzzle I needed to win.

Gladion                    Garchomp & Giratina-GX

Which cards would you say were the MVPs of today’s tournament?
If I had to choose one, I’d say Garchomp & Giratina GX.

If I had a different Pokemon as a finisher, there would have been some matches that I would’ve lost. I was able to win because of Garchomp & Giratina GX.

Why did you want to play at the Expanded Tokyo Champions League 2020?

In 2019 I was able to play at the World Championships 2019 because I’d won enough Championship Points, and many of those points were from Expanded tournaments.

My Expanded results in 2019 were particularly good, so I thought it’d be a bit of a waste if I didn’t participate in the Expanded tournament again.

What are your goals for the 2020 season?

I’m looking to start full time work in April, so I’m not sure if I’ll be able to play at the Champions Leagues or the World Championships. However, this win has increased my motivation. Hence, I’d like to participate in the Pokemon World Championships 2020 and do well.



Congratulations to everyone!

TAG TEAM GX Tag All Stars will be released on the 4th of October, and it will be filled with cards from the decks introduced in this article! 


The next major tournament will be held on the 21st of December, the Aichi Champions League!

This will be the first major tournament after the release of the Pokemon Sword & Shield series, and will introduce a new format.

It will be very exciting to see which decks achieve success at this tournament!

Please find the original Japanese-language article here

Comments

  1. Wow! Thank you! I constantly wanted to write on my site something like that. Can I take a portion of your post to my website? Best tips champions league service provider.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment