[Top 8 Aichi Champions League] Psychic Mewtwo & Mew

Please find the original Japanese-language article here. Note my translation is not a perfect translation and I have rearranged and reworded some parts of the original article for clarity and readability. Find also some explanatory comments inside square brackets, italicised.


Hello, my name is Kimidori.

In this article, I’d like to talk about my Top 8 run at the recent Aichi Champions League [Note: This is a Regionals level tournament], focussing on how I built my Psychic Mewtwo & Mew deck and how to play it.

While Hachi (@8happie8) has already written an article about the deck, I’d like to write about the deck’s construction and its matchups from my point of view.

This article may overlap with Hachi’s article, and may be subjective, especially when I’m talking about my tournament report, so I apologise in advance.

Note: I have kindly received permission from Hachi to talk about the deck. Thank you.

About Me


Pokemon career: I’ve played for about four years. I started playing when Steam Siege was released.

Achievements: City League Kashiwa 2018 Top 4, Aichi Champions League 2020 Top 8

Favourite decks: Mega Gardevoir (Despair Ray), Zoroark Lycanroc, Meganium Evolution decks (Nidoqueen, Gardevoir, etc.)

Deck Breakdown


This is the deck I was originally given.

The details about this deck are written in Hachi’s article, so please take a read here.


I received this deck list one week before the Aichi Champions League and began to test and tinker. I’d played against the deck in grassroots tournaments, so I had some understanding of how it worked already.

I think the deck list I used at the tournament was quite easy to play.

Since the Malamar line is thin and difficult to get out naturally, it’s important to focus on setting it up in order to use Trevenant & Dusknoir GX’s Pale Moon GX on turn two (especially going second). This is to respond to Arceus & Dialga & Palkia GX’s Altered Creation GX and Pikachu & Zekrom GX’s Full Blitz. With the original list, I felt that I couldn’t get a turn one Inkay down about 30% of the time, and it was these matches where I couldn’t set up Malamar that I would lose very quickly. So I needed to think of a counter plan. In Sapporo [Note: Where Kimidori is from], the strength of Psychic Mewtwo & Mew had already been acknowledged, so opponents would play cautiously, especially taking care to play around Gengar & Mimikyu GX.

Pon had been using a list with a 3-3 Malamar line, and from there Hachi built a twelve Ball list (with Quick Ball, Mysterious Treasure and Cherish Ball).

I wanted to include a Big Charm to counter Fire decks, which I had been playing until then. I dropped one Cherish Ball and my list became one of 3-3 Malamar and 11 Balls.


With this list, I won about thirty games and lost five while practising in Sapporo. This gave me a lot of confidence.

This list can get Inkay out on the first turn almost all the time. This means that it’s quite easy to have three Energy attached on turn two and use Night Watch, Pale Moon GX or Horror House GX.

Unfortunately, in the post-match interview on stream, I wasn’t able to talk about why I didn’t use Aurora Energy in the deck very well…

As I mentioned above, it’s incredibly strong to have the option of three attacks on turn two (Night Watch and the two GX attacks). The strongest plan is to set these up. In order to this, you must:

1. Set up Malamar.
2. Attach twice from hand and use Psychic Recharge.
3. Move your attacker to the bench once.

These requirements are absolutely necessary.

You definitely want to get at least one Malamar set up by turn two, so I ran a 3-3 line. Due to the thickness of the line, it’s not uncommon to get two set up by your third or fourth turn.

If you can manage this, at some point in the game it may be possible to retreat a two Energy Mewtwo & Mew GX to the bench with Switch, and use two Psychic Recharges and a hand attachment to pull off Dragonite GX’s Sky Judgement. This also solves the issue of needing a high-power attack in the late game. It’s also incredibly powerful to be able to set up Sky Judgement after having used Naganadel GX’s Venom Shot, so look out for that.

While I’m repeating myself,

1. The deck’s fundamental strength; and
2. The deck’s ability to access different attacks,

can be achieved with just Psychic Energy. I thought it would be better to go with a straightforward approach and to focus on the inherent power of the deck, which is why I chose not to use Aurora Energy.

This is the same reason why I didn’t run Solgaleo & Lunala GX, even from the first iteration of the deck. While being able to knock out Zacian V with 230 damage is commendable, if Zacian V has Metal Frying Pan attached, it becomes a two shot. I decided that the previously mentioned two Energy to five Energy Mewtwo & Mew GX plan was more practical, so Dragonite GX became the attacker of choice. Further, running Solgaleo & Lunala GX increases your chances of opening with a bad starter, so I chose to forgo it.

I truly believe Absol is a strong card. However, I don’t believe there’s bench space for it, so I didn’t run it. Typically, the deck has Mewtwo & Mew GX in the Active, with two Malamar, two Dedenne GX and either a secondary attacker (Trevenant & Dusknoir GX or Indeedee V) or Phione on the Bench. When I was testing Absol in the deck, I realised that it could be very useful in the mirror. You can use its attack to knock out an opposing Trevenant & Dusknoir GX. If you run Absol, Aurora Energy will also become more useful.

For the tournament, I actually wanted to run two Chaotic Swell and a Reset Hole Marshadow, but due to the restricted bench space I opted to run three Chaotic Swell to combat opposing Powerplants.

How to Play Certain Matchups


In this section, I’m going to write about how to play against the top decks in format. This will draw from my subjective opinion, so what I write isn’t the only correct way to play each matchup.

To put it simply, Psychic Mewtwo & Mew is a deck that has a 50-50 or better matchup against everything (although Powerplant and Shadow Box Mimikyu can be problematic…)

Arceus & Dialga & Palkia Zacian

If you play against this deck, consider yourself lucky. The prevalence of this deck is one of the main reasons I chose Psychic Mewtwo & Mew.

The ideal set up is to go first and by your second turn, before your opponent has used Altered Creation GX, Great Catcher up Arceus & Dialga & Palkia GX, use Marnie and then attack with Night Watch, getting the first attack in. Even if your opponent, by some chance, has Mallow & Lana and can heal Arceus & Dialga & Palkia GX almost to its max HP, this is fine as you can use Pale Moon GX. In fact, if the time is right, you can even set up Dragonite GX’s Sky Judgement and simply knock out the Arceus & Dialga & Palkia GX. Even if you go second, on your first turn you can use Horror House GX and then go into Poltergeist or a Marnie and Night Watch combo. While the Arceus & Dialga & Palkia Zacian player will lose tempo as Altered Creation GX takes up one turn, be careful as the extra Prize card taken from their knock outs can turn the game around.

Of course, Latios GX’s Clear Vision GX means that the opponent can’t even attack with Altered Creation GX. However, this should be the order of priority for attacks:

Going first: Pale Moon GX > Horror House GX > Miraculous Duo GX > Clear Vision GX
Going second: Horror House GX > Pale Moon GX > Miraculous Duo GX = Clear Vision GX

Attaching Big Charm to Mewtwo & Mew GX (or Trevenant & Dusknoir GX) means that it will be unable to be knocked out in one shot.

In the slim chance that the opposing Arceus & Dialga & Palkia GX is able to use Ultimate Ray, fear not: if Mewtwo & Mew GX has Big Charm attached, it can use Miraculous Duo GX to heal to 300 HP, being able to withstand Zacian V. Considering all possible scenarios, Brave Blade can do 230 (base) + 30 (Altered Creation GX) + 10 (Vitality Band) + 10 (Shrine of Punishment) + 10 (Galarian Zigzagoon) = 290. No deck runs all of these damage modifiers, and I think it’s quite unlikely that you’ll see a Galarian Zigzagoon and Lysandre Labs combination.

If you are able to knock out an Arceus & Dialga & Palkia GX with four Energy attached to Mewtwo & Mew GX, and it isn’t return KO’d, the next turn you should attach to the Active and set up another Mewtwo & Mew GX on the bench with Psychic Recharge. Then, you can use Venom Shot to create a checkmate situation.

Pikachu & Zekrom GX

I wrote this earlier, but this deck differs from Arceus & Dialga & Palkia Zacian in that it is far speedier and more aggressive from the get go.

Even if it takes you some time, you must use Mewtwo & Mew GX (or Trevenant & Dusknoir GX) to attack with Pale Moon GX in response to Pikachu & Zekrom GX’s Full Blitz.

Of course, against this deck, Mega Lopunny & Jigglypuff GX’s Jumping Balloon is very effective. However, your opponent will likely play around this, keeping in mind to keep their bench down to three GX Pokemon and attaching Big Charm to their active Pikachu & Zekrom GX. With this assumption, I give priority to Pale Moon GX. Of course, if you can use Jumping Balloon to knock them out, that’s quicker. While I’m going on a slight tangent, when your opponent has used Full Blitz, they will likely have a Big Charm Pikachu & Zekrom GX in the active, and Dedenne GX, Raichu & Alolan Raichu GX and Jirachi etc. on their bench.

You should discard the Energy attached to Pikachu & Zekrom GX at this point. If your opponent has already used Thunder Mountain and Tapu Koko Prism Star, they would need Tag Switch to use Full Blitz next turn.

If your opponent has played down Zeraora GX, Dedenne GX etc to set up, then their Pokemon will be in the sphere of Jumping Balloon.

If your opponent can use Full Blitz on their first turn (going second), then:

Your first turn: You must, at the very least, attach an Energy to Mewtwo & Mew GX and bench an Inkay. Using Dedenne GX is fine too.

Your opponent’s first turn: They will use Full Blitz into Mewtwo & Mew GX.

Your second turn: You will use Pale Moon GX to discard the Energy attached to Pikachu & Zekrom GX.

Your opponent’s second turn: In order to be able to attack, they will be forced into benching Pokemon like Dedenne GX and Zeraora GX. Raichu & Alolan Raichu GX will knock out your Mewtwo & Mew GX.

Your third turn: After Pale Moon GX, your opponent’s board should have at least four GX Pokemon. You can knock out a Tag Team with Jumping Balloon (and if you can, attach Big Charm to your active Pokemon).

Your opponent’s third turn: Your opponent shouldn’t have any Energy in play, so they will pass (the most they can do is probably Tandem Shock).

Your fourth turn: Use Sky Judgement for the win.

I think this is the ideal way to play if your opponent gets a turn one Full Blitz.

Fire Mewtwo & Mew

As the main attacker of this deck is Mewtwo & Mew GX, you should use Trevenant & Dusknoir GX (or Gengar & Mimikyu GX).

As Fire Mewtwo & Mew can hit for 300 damage, you may need to use Trevenant & Dusknoir GX twice, so ensure you don’t discard it. In addition to this, generally you are able to keep your GX count low (below three) so your opponent’s Mega Lopunny & Jigglypuff GX shouldn’t be able to hit for more than 240 damage. However, while it seems that the Psychic variant is favoured in terms of type advantage, there’s a possibility it may struggle more with knocking out Tag Team GXs.

Without Big Charm, Gengar & Mimikyu GX will be knocked out by Jumping Balloon if played down (this is largely the reason why I lost in top 8).

Honestly, I can’t deny that I didn’t have much practice with this matchup. I don’t think I’m qualified to talk about this matchup further, so I will end my analysis here.

Lucario & Melmetal Zacian

In this matchup, whether you can get Latios GX’s Clear Vision GX off before Full Metal Wall GX is vital. If you go first, it can’t really be helped, but if your opponent misses the turn one Full Metal Wall GX or if you go second and you see a Lucario & Melmetal GX hit the field, your top priority is to Clear Vision GX.

Your final two Prizes should be from using Dragonite GX’s Sky Judgement against Zacian V, but if it has Metal Frying Pan attached and Full Metal Wall GX is in effect, the attack will only do 270 – 30 – 30 = 210, and will be unable to one shot Zacian V.

Since the deck is naturally slow, I don’t think you should prioritise using Horror House GX or Pale Moon GX to recover tempo.

If your opponent is successful in using Full Metal Wall GX, you should forcibly disrupt their hand by using the Marnie and Night Watch combo. If they use Intrepid Sword to increase their hand size, you can switch your plan to using Poltergeist.

Tournament Report


I’ll talk about the matchups I faced on the day. Unfortunately, I won’t go into them in detail.

If there are requests, I might include further details in a postscript.

Also, I might have gotten the order of the matches wrong… sorry about that.

Round 1: Pikachu & Zekrom, W
Round 2: Arceus & Dialga & Palkia Zacian, W
Round 3: Blacephalon Naganadel, W
Round 4: Pikachu & Zekrom, W
Round 5: Garchomp & Giratina, W
Round 6: Lucario & Melmetal Zacian, W
Round 7: Arceus & Dialga & Palkia Zacian, W
Round 8: Pikachu & Zekrom GX, W
Round 9: Reshiram & Charizard GX (? Fire Box), W
Round 10: Fire Mewtwo & Mew, L

Qualifying Round Result: 9-1, 3rd seed

Main Round:

Round 1: Arceus & Dialga & Palkia Zacian, W
Round 2: Psychic Mewtwo & Mew GX, L

Top 8

Conclusion


Thank you for reading thus far. I’d like to give my thanks to:

Hachi, who gave me the idea for this splendid deck (@8happie8);

Okatsu, who entrusted me with a Zacian playmat (@otakubowl); and

Everyone from Sapporo who practiced with me right up until the tournament.

Thank you very much!

And, most of all, thanks to my girlfriend and rival, Nochiu (@CHIu_pcg). I’m sorry I was so tense before the tournament.

Until Aichi, I had failed lotteries [Note: To enter Champions Leagues, without a certain amount of Championship Points, it’s necessary to enter a lottery] but I didn’t lose motivation and kept practising at home and getting help from my local league, and this gave me power! Thank you!

Thanks to everyone’s co-operation, I was able to place in the Top 8 of the Aichi Champions League! Until now, playing at the World Championships was all but a dream. With this result, I can get a little closer to achieving that milestone. In order to get there, I’ll keep working hard!

Finally, I’d appreciate it if you could donate. If you do, I’ll use it to cover the travel costs from Hokkaido. I’d be very grateful if anyone with the means to donate, could.

Finally, thanks to you, the reader, for reading this far.

See you next time!


Please find the original Japanese-language article here.

Comments